We serve this cake as a dessert with lime and ginger sorbet, Italian meringue and crushed hazelnuts. It works equally well with a cup of coffee and a couple of friends.
For the glaze:
- 60g brown sugar
- 180ml dark rum
- 30g butter
- ½ pineapple peeled, cored and sliced
Bring all the ingredients (except the pineapple) to the boil and simmer until syrupy.
Add the pineapple and coat in the glaze.
For the batter:
- 120g butter
- 240g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tblspn dark rum
- 320g plain flour
- 2g salt (1/2 tspn)
- 60g pecans
1. Cream the butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the eggs while beating (one at a time). Add the rum and vanilla.
2. Fold in the flour, salt and nuts.
3. Butter and paper a 9 inch cake tin. Pour the pineapples and glaze into the bottom and spread the batter over the top.
4. Bake at 165°C for around 50 minutes.
5. Leave for 15 to 20 minutes until cool enough to handle. Turn the cake over onto a plate and lift off the tin.